From:
Lydia Parlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lydia Parlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:25:24 -0500

Hello,

Thanks for the  responses! Most people who use them love them. One person
seemed to prefer flax seed as it is cheaper.

I have been using the Chia seeds a few days now and they are easy to like
and easy to use! I have had no bad reaction to them and if they help boost
things for the positive then that is just great!!!

Lydia

Here are the responses:

They are gluten free and one of the 10 super foods.  They have more calcium
than dairy, more omega 3 than salmon and that's just for starters!  I mix a
scoop with water and a bit of juice for sweetness and drink it throughout
the day.  You can use them in salad dressing, baking, to make flour, etc.
Fills you up if you are hungry too, so it's a great diet aid.  Highly
recommended!!  I order mine from Amazon.com because you can buy a couple of
lbs at a really great price.  In the store a lb usually runs about $20 and I
end up paying around $8 with shipping.  Don't believe the hype on the brand
Salba.  It's just a white variety of the seed and after a lot of research
the difference nutritionally is minimal and not worth the extra money.
Enjoy, Elizabeth

P.S.  Also very good at keeping you regular :-)

I bought Chia Goodness - cranberry ginger, at a local healh food store. It
lists chia as the first ingredient but also has buckwheat, hemp, and other
seeds. It's a breakfast cereal that you add milk or water to and I thought
it was quite good. The web site iswww.ruthshempfoods.com

Chia seeds are the seeds used to grow the famed chia pets are becoming a
popular food item especially in the raw community. I've wanted to try them
but was also unsure about them. When visiting my sister, she had two
varities. I usually soak in milk to be used over my cereal. Recommended uses
include sprinlking on salads, in smoothies or in stir fries. It is high in
protein, fiber but also fat. It can be a minimal source of calcium. There is
no information listed regarding oron content. I've seen it served as a chia
tapioca Ina raw restaurant, although I didn't try it.

Yes, I've tried chia seeds and really like them.  I bought mine at Whole
Foods.  I add them to Greek yogurt, hot or cold cereals for added fiber.
You can use them the same way you would use flax seed.  I used to use flax
but have switched to chia seeds now.

Yes, try them! I put them in smoothies a lot, but you can even take them and
add some water and allow to sit for a few minutes and they'll "gel", making
an interesting "pudding". They're also high in fiber, but in my experience,
they're easier on the tummy than flaxseed. You can also use them, I believe,
as an egg replacer in baking, the same way you can use flaxseed and water
(making that pudding).

Chia is fine but ground flax seed is cheaper....

Don't fall for the hype.

We put them in our smoothies.  They turn to gel once they are put in liquid
and they sit for a while, so they work well in smoothies, because you can't
really tell the gel is in there.  We add about a teaspoon or two per large
smoothie.

You can also mix the seeds with water, allow them to sit and once the gel is
formed, use it as an egg replacer in your baked goods.  It works fairly
well, especially in savory items.

They are awesome and they have been around for quite a while!  They, like
flax have Omega’s in them.  You can just throw Chia seeds on your breakfast
cereal or whatever you are eating however you have to know that they
increase 20 times their size so do not pour them on – about 1/2 tsp is what
I do about 3 times a day.  You have to drink lots of liquids when you are
adding Chia to your diet and you do not have to grind them like flax – your
body can break down the outside of the seed.  I also put them into water
with flax seeds (not ground flax) for about 24 hours (1 tsp Chia and 1 TBSP
flax seeds in about a cup of water), pour the water off if there is any left
– usually not - add some cinnamon or nutmeg and some honey or apple juice or
milk or nuts and have that for breakfast a couple days a week.

Salba is a company in Canada I believe – perhaps they are in the USA too -
that has marketed the seeds – not sure if they are where you live as you
actually did not include that in your e-mail.  However skip the Salba
packages and just get Chia seeds – same thing and Chia is much cheaper!

I put them in muffins and pancakes too but I also increase the moisture a
bit as they will dry out the muffins/baked product due to their absorption
of liquid properties.

Good luck!

Chia seeds are very small; as they dissolve they create a gel and become vey
soft. I don’t think they have much of a taste, but the texture is odd to me.
I dissolve them in  protein drinks.

I have been using Chia seeds for the past couple months.  A dietician spoke
at our local celiac group and recommended it because it was a good way to
get a lot of the vitamins, fiber, protien that we miss in our diet.  I use
one scoop each morning on my cereal or mixed in with eggs or pancake batter.
The seeds sometimes stick to my teeth so I always it with breakfast and then
immediately brush my teeth.  No more embarrassing seeds stuck to my teeth.

My husband is a runner so got into because of their slow burning energy
potential. We make chia frescas - cool water, lemon juice and a little brown
sugar with 1 T chia seed. Very good as an am drink that keeps you going
through lunch the texture is different at first - a gel really - but once
you are used to that chia is great!

I have tried the chia powder that I add to cereal.  It has only been for 21
weeks and I have had no definite tests but I think it is worth the try.  I
got mine from Purely Chia:
www.purelychia.com

I have used Chia for many years.  Only thing which would lower my cholestrol
levels. The ground white chia seeds are the best, with the most scientific
evidents to support it.  Too much, and you will not leave the bathroom; go
slow.  Chia is 6 times better than flax, but it costs 6 times as much.  You
can also get chia flour to bake with.

After reading about Chia, I went to our health food store and talked to
them.  Seems like there is an amazing amount of benefit to 2 Tbls a day!
 They told me to buy powder, as it is easier to use.  Also, had Navitas
Brand Sprouted Chia Powder that they told me if it had spouted, it had EVEN
MORE benefits.  An 8 oz bag is about $10.  I mix it in OJ or sprinkle it on
cereal in the mornings.  I tried it in my coffee, but even though its
powder, it still has a texture, and coffee is just too smooth.