From:
Kimberly Mae Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly Mae Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:25:37 -0400

Hello,
In sum, I received mixed reviews. Some said it helps, others said it's not worth it or has to be taken very early on (or before symptoms set in). I will probably try a fiber option for now, perhaps trying charcoal in the future. Thank you to all who responded!
Here is what I received:

I use only Country Life with very positive results for a really really bad upset stomach after eating.

I have used activated charcoal many times for patients that have ingested a known toxic substance, but that is usually within a couple hours of ingestion.  It is given to absorb the toxic substances before it can be absorbed by the gut.  It is usually not given after the signs and symptoms of an ingestion has occurred because the toxic substance has been absorbed and is already causing problems. The side effect of black, foul diarrhea that stains everything would be problematic also, I would think.

I have taken Metamucil after a gluten ingestion which has helped, but not tried charcoal.

We have used activated charcoal and it seems to work well except if our daughter has active colitis then we don't do it because it might be too irritating.  There is a caution though that you should not take it within a couple hours before or after a prescription medication or vitamin because it will also absorb that.  The health food store has several sources of activated charcoal.  We have bought Twin Lab and Solaray (? I think).  It is made from wood so I doubt gluten is an issue if you have a gelatin or veggie cap.  I have never seen it in tablet.  I have read that emergency rooms will use it for some accidental overdose situations or poisions where they don't want to make somebody throw up.

Activated Charcoal is just that – charcoal and if you are putting that into your system after accidental gluten ingestion I would not worry about cross contamination – the medical version is just ground charcoal with water that one drinks... I would be careful with it.  I know from the list and if you look in the archives that others take naturopathic remedies that I would try first.  Maybe someone will e-mail you them!  Others take Imodium also

I recommend Gluten-ease by enzymedica.  It provides some relief.

Easier option is a fiber laxative like Metamucil.  The bulk will dilute the ppm concentration, it will absorb excess water, and keep the gut moving so the gluten won't linger in your system.

Kimberly in CT

Sent from my iPad