From:
star prasad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
star prasad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:16:41 -0700

Someone requested I send out a summary of responses regarding my Low TSH
Level email, so please see below. Thanks to everyone who responded. Also, if
anyone happens to know an endocrinologist in the San Diego area who has
dealt with Celiac patients before, please let me know. Or if you have any
opinions on what to look for in an endocrinologis. Thank you. -Star

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM, star prasad <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I've been GF for over a year now and just discovered that my TSH (Thyroid
> Stimulating Hormone) levels are extremely low. Looking over past labs I now
> realize that they've been really low for at least 6 months. What's strange
> is that the rest of my thyroid measurements are in the normal range. I've
> just made an appointment to see an endocrinologist, but I'm wondering if
> anyone else has had contradicting thyroid measurements and what their
> treatment was.
> Thanks!
> -Starly

Summary

   - "Thyroid is commonly something that goes out of whack, producing either
   too much or too little hormone. Sometimes it is autoimmune, like celiac
   disease is; sometimes it’s not."
   - In general there's a lot of angst out there with doctors and their
   treatment of thyroid disease. You really need to do your homework on all
   things thyroid, and shop for a doctor who knows their stuff and is willing
   to work with you.
   - A great web site for more info is http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
   - Most people find they improve over time, and can reduce their
   medication dosage as a result. So there is hope!
   - Drugs / Supplements mentioned were Levoxyl, Synthroid, Cytomel, and
   Natural Armour Hormone. Several people mentioned having positive results
   while using each one of these. You have to figure out which one works best
   for your body.
   - There's also a lot of suspicion of what the normal range of TSH should
   actually be. Many people recommend using the range as a rough guideline and
   nothing more. If your TSH value is outside of this range, and you feel ok,
   and your doctor is ok with it, don't stress - this may just be normal for
   you
   - There are a bunch of important thyroid measurements to consider - TSH,
   Free T3, Reverse T3, Free T4, Total T4
   - Most responders were Hypothyroid (extra high TSH values)
   - A number of people mentioned the connection between Hashimoto's (a
   thyroid disease) and Celiac disease
   - "Dr. Peter Green, Director of the Celiac Research Center at Columbia
   Univ. mentions thyroid disease in his book, *Celaic Disease: A Hidden
   Epidemic.*"
   - And "since TSH is generated from the pituitary gland you may even have
   a pituitary problem, completely unrelated to your thyroid,

*******
*******