From:
LISA EFSTATHEU <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 07:50:49 -0700
take me off your mailing list please :)

From: Judee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ND news
To: [log in to unmask]

If you are having trouble seeing the images in this e-mail, please click on this link.

10/05/09

Discuss the Paleo Diet and More on the ND Blog There are certain topics that are guaranteed to generate a lot of comments on the Nutrition Data Blog: any research (pro or con) on low-carb diets, for example. So I wasn't surprised that my recent post on the Paleo diet elicited a spirited discussion.

But I have to say that this was one of the most thoughtful, articulate, and illuminating debates we've ever had on the blog. For those unfamiliar with the concept, the Paleo diet is an attempt to return to the diet eaten by Paleolithic humans—before the discovery of agriculture. If you're at all interested in this concept, I think you'll find the exchange on the blog well worth reading with an open mind. (The thread reads from the bottom up.)

Other hot topics on the blog include whether tropical oils are a healthier source of saturated fats and a recent study concluding that foods high in cholesterol may in fact raise your blood cholesterol—but the devil is, as usual, in the details. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these and other discussions on the blog!

Butternut Squash Butternut squash is low in calories and extremely high in vitamin A.  For a complete nutritional analysis of butternut squash and 10,000 other foods, click here.

Nutrition Connection: Yogurt and the Flu A recent study found that children taking probiotics had much lower rates of cold and flu. Can eating yogurt help keep your family healthier this flu season? Read more on the ND Blog.

Nutrient of the Week: Manganese Manganese is a "trace" mineral, meaning that it is needed in very small amounts. However, those small amounts are essential to the metabolism of proteins and fat. Manganese is also involved in bone growth. For more nutrient facts: Browse our Nutrition Glossary.

In the Spotlight: Molasses Unlike refined sugar, molasses contains significant amounts of many important nutrients. Can replacing white sugar with molasses make your diet more nutritious? Learn more on the ND Blog.

If you want to stop receiving Nutrition Data News, click here.
To view our privacy policy, click here.
Sent from Condé Nast Digital, 1166 Avenue of the Americas, 15th floor, New York, NY 10036, attn: E-mail Coordinator