C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:13:19 -0400
Hello, Allan,

I am a list mod and am a CP from NC - I'm not a parent but as a CP, I can
tell you that your son is surely feeling the tension as much as you are  and
your wife is not helping matters any by not being patient with him.   I feel
your whole family - yes, including your son - could benefit from family
counseling.  He might not be able to articulate his thought and emotions
very well, but if you allowed him to express his feelings via a "speech
board" or other means, I'd bet he'd have plenty to say.

I suggest you go to the local Family Services office and look into their
family counseling programs - I think you all would benefit from it.  Also,
what does his mother say?  How does she cope with your son?  I'm sure Beth,
an occupation therapist who is on this list, would have excellent
suggestions.
Kat