VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:56:37 -0700
First of all, while I didn't download Radio Sure I did download and play with Tappin' Radio. As a person who is currently using JFW 11.0 with a 40-cell Focus Braille display, I had basically no problems at all. Yes, the program has some idiosyncracies but so do other programs. When I figured out that where the blank area was was where you could arrow down through all stations, then everything fit. I also tested the various menus and found them easy to read. Heck, I even pressed the "Properties" key on the keyboard when I had a station in focus and discovered that I could go to the station's website or copy the actual audio link to the computer's clipboard.

With regard to stations not working, that is not wholly these programs' fault. Radio stations are changing the players they use on a dime (remember, they have to pay a lot of money to artists, writers, and record companies to stream so they keep trying for cheaper streaming technology), and it is often difficult for programs like these two to keep up (In fact, some stream-originating sites like Streamaudio, have essays written on them about how these "other" programs and sites are stealing their stations without their permission). In addition, some stations in both the United States and the United Kingdom are playing with ways to limit who can receive their streams as a way to avoid minimize the payments to record companies, artists and writers--their streams can be heard only if you live currently in the country where the streams originate.

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out why you are trying to do this from your desktop anyway. There are plenty of sites with links to streaming stations that you can use, including http://www.publicradiofan.com (for NPR and college stations) and http://www.billsparks.org (for many broadcasters) that are updated regularly from information that users send in. I think, however, that the best aggregator (a term used to describe these sites by Kurt Hanson of the Radio and Internet Newsletter) is Vtuner, available at http://www.vtuner.com. The site is updated, usually once a week, and the absolute vast majority of the streams available through the site are working, and you can hear them on your desktop through available working players such as Windows Media and Winamp.

Ted
---- the organist <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am thouroughly disapointed in radio sure, and tapin radio.  They
could be really nice programs if only they worked, and adequate
documentation was available.
Radio sure.
I downloaded radio sure, and heard a station begin to play.  I entered
the call letters of a local station, and found, to my delight, that it
was on the list.,  I pressed enter, and was greeted by complete,
abysmal silence. I tried several other stations, and had similar
results.  My conclusion, a tin can on the end of a string works as
well.  I then tried to set my options, and found that the tab key
announced the buttons, but the buttons are useless.  The program is a dud.
Tapin radio,
First, there are no instructions on how to use it.  i tried the
instructions i had from radio sure, and anxiously listened for my local
station.  I recieved, you guess it, total silence. Such programs have a
long way to go, and should be avoided  Thanks.  Wally

--

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]