VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chris hallsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
chris hallsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:02:57 +0100
Hello all!
what was your favourite operating system in the history of computing?
Also what about software? My favourite operating system in the history
of computing
is probably Windows 95 and I was using JAWS as my screen reader. My
favourite software was a product by PowerQuest called Second Chance. (I
wonder if anyone
remembers having that preinstalled on their old machines?) I certainly
did and it was brilliant! The program is basically System Restore but
for data as
well as system. What Second Chance did was created "checkpoints" at
regular intervals. You can then restore individual files and folders, or
even an entire
system, to that particular checkpoint. Checkpoint 1 was always the
"initial" checkpoint either after Second Chance was first installed or
you have enabled
a drive to be monitored after it being disabled. One problem Second
Chance did do was corrupt the JAWS authorization keys that were used way
back then.
You know, the ones that consisted of a special floppy disk? This is
because, as I soon found out, a hidden/system file jfw.cps was backed up
by Second
Chance each time JAWS modified it. So of course when you restored an
entire system to an earlier checkpoint you lost authorization in the
process. But
apart from that it was brilliant! How I wish they'd brought it back to
make it work for Windows 7!

--
Sent using Thunderbird

Archived on the World Wide Web at