From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:41:25 -0500
Re: paleo web site and video "Minding Your Mitochondria"
From: william <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:29

> Has value in that I did not know that iodine is necessary
> to make the myelin sheath that insulates our nervous system.
> IIRC seaweed was burnt to concentrate & refine iodine ~200
> years ago; just eating seaweed does no good, unless it's the
> special stuff available only in Japan.

Which "special stuff"? Kombu (a kelp)? Nori? Wakame (a kelp)? Please name it.
Seaweed is cultivated for human consumption is grown in a number of countries, but primarily Japan, Korea, China, the Philippines, Norway, Chile. I found Kombu and Nori from Spain in a shop near me yesterday (my visit inspired by Dr Wahls!)

> Tests show that 96% of Americans are iodine
> deficient; worse in Europe IIRC.

It's easy to overdose on iodine:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sushi-seaweed-linked-to-surge-in-thyroid-illness-20110730-1i5mm.html

"According to the Food Standards Australia New Zealand,
one sushi roll contains 92 micrograms (one millionth of a gram)
of iodine. The recommended daily intake of iodine for adults is
150 micrograms (20,000th of a teaspoon).

"The thyroid, a small butterfly-shaped gland in the lower
part of the neck, needs iodine to produce essential
hormones that regulate the metabolism. But excessive
amounts of iodine can lead to hyperthyroidism (overactive
thyroid causing symptoms including palpitations, fatigue and
weight loss) while low levels can cause hypothyroidism
(underactive thyroid causing fatigue, weight gain and confusion).

<snip>

"DHS spokesman Graeme Walker said that since October,
dried brown seaweed with iodine levels above 1000 milligrams
per kilogram had been banned for importation into Australia
following the Bonsoy case. In December 2009, Bonsoy soy
milk, which was made using kombu seaweed extract, was
forced to launch a worldwide recall after people fell ill due to
its high iodine levels. It was reformulated without the kombu
seaweed extract and is back on the market.

"Brown seaweed, such as kelp, kombu, wakame, quandai-cai,
hijiki, arame or Sargassum fusiforme, is usually sold dried for
use in soups and stews."

Keith