Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 07:37:15 -0600
Thanks for responding to me offlist, Kyle.  A couple of responses:

1. Low Carb.

Phinney: "Impaired physical performance is a common but not obligate result of a low carbohydrate diet. [One needs] time for adaptation, optimized sodium and potassium nutriture, and constraint of protein to 15–25 % of daily energy expenditure allow unimpaired endurance performance despite nutritional ketosis."

"Ketogenic diets and physical performance," Stephen D Phinney, Nutrition & Metabolism 2004

2. Exercise

I'm not really sure why hard weight training wouldn't have been paleo, at least for men.  Research has shown that paleo men hunted two to three times per week, an act that required not just endurance if you believe the persistence hunting theory, but also plenty of hard lifting to get the kill back to camp.

I try to mimic this in my workout.  I run to the gym (1.5 miles), do one set to momentary muscular failure of the following: leg press, leg curl, deadlift, dip, bicep curl, and then run back home.  I do this twice a week and then will do a longer, more endurance activity on the weekend.  That may be getting pretty close to what paleo man was doing IMO.

Jim