From:
Trish Leon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:23:13 +0000
Keith stated:

"Why would anyone warm breast milk? I have never heard of this before. Even in the says of wet nurses, breast milk has always been fed ready-warmed from a perfect container.

Keith"

--

Hi Keith:

Many women who breast feed also pump their milk and freeze for later use. There are many reasons to do this: a night out;  she may work and need to place her child in day care, she may donate it to hospitals and other lactation organizations for infants who need it whose mothers' may not be able to breast feed (premature babies digest human milk more easily than commercial formulas, and in many cases a woman who has a very premature baby may not develop milk);  also, its a good idea to store a supply in case the mother becomes ill and cannot nurse. Finally, the father has the opportunity to bottle feed and further bond with the baby. The reasons are many. While the optimal nutrient-rich breast milk is straight from the source, I think frozen and warmed is better than all commercially prepared formulas.

:-)

Trish