Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:35:27 -0400
Fred,

How far is your laptop from the router?  Are you using the laptop's built-in
wireless card?

Yes, you can get hi-gain antennas for your router, but I'm not familiar with
the particular model router you have.  Some don't have detachable antennas.

However, there are some things you can try first.

1.  If you can look at the signal strength of your wireless signal on your
laptop (sometimes it is displayed in the system tray, or by hitting the
applications key on the wireless connection on your network connections tab
and selecting status.  Now, go to your router and move the antenna(s)
slightly.  Sometimes, a small change in the direction of the antenna will
make a big difference.

2.  You can do a search for a Hawking or Cisco hi-gain antenna for your
router, assuming its antenna is detachable.

3.  If its antenna isn't detachable, which is the case with my Linksys
router, then try something like this Starbase USB adapter for your laptop.
It is $27.95 from Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/StarBase-Wireless-802-11g-Adapter-Antenna/dp/B002C79BU4
but you might find it for less elsewhere.  There are cheaper USB adapters,
but they only have half the gain of the Starbase, 5DBI compared to the
Starbase 9DBI.

The disadvantage with the adapter is it will consume more battery power if
you use your laptop on batteries, and you will need to configure it when you
first get it.

HTH,

Steve K8SP