From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:11:38 -0400
Anthony, here are the messages re the thread you've missed. Danny.Hi Howard,
well, I wouldn't want to drop it out of a plane, cause it might
land on its' front knobs, but I've had several, and presently own and very
much like, a Yaesu FT817ND, five watt
160-80-60-40-30-20-17-15-12-10-06-02m+70CM, 5watt very portable all mode
XCVER, which also has LW-30MHZ, FM Broadcast, and Air band receive coverage
It's not, out of the box blind friendly, but with work arounds, (at very
minimum, a John Hansen Millenium QSYER, a CT62 Computer interface cable,
some kind of tuner, or tunable antenna, and hopefully a face
guard/[available from a couple of developers,]for atatching to the front to
block the A, B, and C, buttons along the bottom front of the radio, and
maybe even the function button,  to keep from inadvertently fouling
something up after you get it set up by computer, and or sighted help,)
and for what it is, an affordable, useable really portable radio, it
definitely is, such as it is,  a really winning performer.  *I'm not being
paid by Yaesu, and I've had my frustrations with the lil things, )as I say,
I've had several of them, and finally came back to one when I figured out
ways to work with them, cause , but once you learn it, figure out what you
want to do and how you want to do it, and make allowances for all of that,
there isn't anything like it out there, for $650 or less. Danny.