From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 11:42:12 -0400
Howard,

I think I understand what John means by "talking too much."  For example,
when in memory mode, every time you move the channel knob, the 2000 says
"memory xxx xx.xxx>'  I would prefer an option to silence that amount of
feedback, and instead have the speech say something when I press a button.
Note that this option is available in the TM-V71A, where you can choose
between "Automatic", where the speech works like it does in the 2000, and
"Manual", where the speech is silent unless you press whatever button you've
assigned to trigger speech.  Even though the 480 uses the same speech chip
as the 71A, it does not let you choose between Automatic and Manual.  That
said, though, the speech in the 480 provides feedback for PL and CTCSS
tones, power, and various gain functions, whereas these functions are not
spoken by the 2000.  I would prefer having the more extensive feedback of
the 480, but I like many things about the 2000, such as its much sharper SSB
filters, so I put up with the lack of feedback.  We should keep in mind that
the 2000 was one of Kenwood's early attempts at speech accessibility, and
they've learned a lot since 2000 when the radio first hit the market.  Let's
hope that one day they develop a radio like the 2000, but with the increased
accessibility of the newer Kenwood radios such as the TM-V71A.

Steve