Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:12:01 -0600
7bit
Sender:
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
I picked up one of the MFJ hamtennas the other day.
I got the 20M resonator and whip.
It's essentially a 4 foot long  poll with wire wrapps up to a loading coil
near the top...then a 4 foot stainless steel whip attached on top.
the bass terminates in a 3/8's by 24 stud.
the whole assembly was pretty cheap so i figured i would try it out and see
what sort of results I could get.
the shop didn't have any c clamp style mounts, so i'm fabricating something
to atach to the balcony railing.  I picked up a bunch of 18 gage speaker
wire to use as counter poise as well.
I've also got a maggy mount with a 3/8's female connecter that i'm going to
try out both mobile and perhaps at home if I can't find anything adequit for
a mount.
I know I can probably get one of the c clamp style mounts online as well.
so far, with the antenna leaning against the wall inside on the fourth
floor, I am receiving far more on 20 meters than I was before.
I have the ground screw on the radio connected to the hot water heater pipe
as a counter poise, but obviously it's far too long and not designed to work
with the antenna...a few 16.5ft pieces of speaker wire should work well as a
counter poise for now...attached at the bass of the antenna right at the
feed point.

I also picked up a midland 18-325c dual band mobile antenna that i'm going
to use instead of the current quarter wave dual band on the vehicle.
Hopefully that will keep me into the repeater more consistently than the
quarter wave does now.

73
Colin, V A6BKX