From:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:53:35 +0000

We have many experienced bakers on the list. Everyone sent me their favorite recipes and websites. Such a great resource!

Some people talked about the many pre-mixed options (Pamela's, Bob's Red Mill, Bette Hagman's). I have looked at these, but most have potato flour which I try to avoid for my daughter. Same for Udi's bread products.

Most people recommended xanthum gum over guar gum, mainly because guar gum is a laxative. Xanthum gum will bind it together and has good elasticity. This may be why my bread was too crumbly.

This was a good tip for moist bread: "I like to mix flours.  I almost always use jowar, small amount of montina (for nutrition), rice and tapioca.  I use quick rise yeast ( red star and kroger were both gf last I checked) and do not proof the yeast.  I just add it with the dry goods and make sure my liquids are warm, not too warm.  Buttermilk, yogurt, applesauce, pumpkin and carrots or zucchini help with moisture retention."

Yeast, baking soda and baking flour can get too old.

For any flour that does not have an oil base, like rice, tapioca or corn, you do not need to store it in the refrigerator. Some people buy large quantities of their flours and keep them for years outside of the refrigerator. For any item stored in the refrigerator, needs to come to room temperature before baking. Soy, corn and almond flours can go rancid.

There were also links for substitutions:
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/12/baking-cooking-substitutions-for-gluten.html
http://www.livingwithout.com/resources/substitutions.html

Thank you for all the advice!  Michelle