Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:56:09 -0700
From:
Dimitrios Douros <[log in to unmask]>

   I've received several replies to my posts regarding
labeling and the need to recognize that the statement
"Processed in a facility that also processes wheat,
nuts, ... " is a legal buffer for companies in a litigious
society and that in most, if not all, cases it should not
scare celiacs away from consuming these foods.

   The emails I've received are from people that have
indeed reacted to such food items but in the majority
of cases have realized their reaction was do to other
issues, not related to gluten.

   Which was the point of my earlier posts: that many
celiacs who notice problems with certain items may
have other non-gluten related issues. These can be
quite real but are, none the less, not related to gluten
and miss-identifying them as gluten related is a big
concern for the entire celiac community because it
puts the seeds of doubt in our mind about foods
that are indeed safe and unnecessarily limits our
food choices.

   That is my main concern with such posts. It's not
that I doubt people's reactions, I just think we need
to properly identify and understand what is causing
the reaction rather than blaming all of it on gluten
because of legal CYA statements on a food label.

Dimitrios