From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:08:20 -0900
  (1) Whether you regard regular vitamin D intake is important enough to
act upon

Yes, I live in the interior of Alaska, and when I quite drinking
D-fortified dairy products in January 1996, I immediately noticed signs
of Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Now that I'm middle-aged, I notice the
effects even in the summer.

(2) If you do, what do you do to boost your vitamin D intake during winter

I supplement, and as the date above implies, I have been doing so long
before it became fashionable.  Fifteen years ago I was able to get away
with just taking vitamin D from fall equinox to spring equinox.  As I've
gotten a bit more "mature" I have begun to supplement year round, and
increase to winter levels in early September.  When I forget to
increase, I notice it by equinox, and it takes a couple weeks to get my
brain back on track.

(3) Whether you regard the strategy you use to maintain your vitamin D
levels as "paleo"?

Paleo would be living where I could get adequate sunlight for my vitamin
D needs.  I don't.  But I do the best I can and supplement with fish
oil-based D3.  I also have the advantage of a year-round supply of
wild-caught fish at the market, as well as Copper River reds and king
salmon from neighbors.  But I can't eat enough fish to give me what I
need this far north.

(4) What is your opinion and your experience of sun lamps?

They are a bother to deal with in my otherwise busy and cluttered life.
Much easier to just take my D (and it's always best for absorption to do
so with a fatty meal, which is easy to do when eating paleo).

Lisa