From:
"David R. Basden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:11:11 -0700
Happy anniversary Phil!  I recall my novice days very fondly as
well.  Unlike you, I didn't wait for my ticket to arrive as I was
living on an air force base in Alaska with my step father.  For some
reason it took six months for my ticket to get to me.  A ham friend
was away on a weather recon flight, so I bootlegged his call.  I was
found out when he returned and talked to the fellow I had worked on
80 CW.  I only did it that once, but it was pretty exciting.  My
first setup was a DX35 and a borrowed NC120 to parallel 80/40 dipoles
also up about 20 feet.  That was in late 1956 when the mother of all
sunspot cycle was building.

73,

Dave