AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:39:07 -0500

               VISIT AFRICAN ASSOCIATION OF MADISON WEBSITE

                        http://www.africanassociation.org

                FOR LATEST INFORMATION ON AFRICA FEST 2009,

           MEMBERSHIP, COMMUNITY CALENDAR AND MUCH MORE....

I'm referring to the additional $2 billion that the House approved to continue the Cash for Clunkers program. I hope the Senate has a little more sense. People are excited about the car dealers making more profit but don't approve of Halliburton making any profit. The original $1 billion provided incentive for people to purchase 200,000 cars. Presumably an additional $2 billion will increase sales by 400,000 cars.

Are cars now more important than food, shelter, and health care? We could have helped more people with that $2 billion is all I am saying. The original Cash for Clunkers program ended. Let it end and leave it alone.

People with mental illnesses and disabilities need assistance with housing. $2 billion will pay for 233,100 years of housing at $715/month. 16% of the homeless population is approx. 344,000 people. That money could provide housing assistance for more people with these issues.

I think that's more important than helping someone buy a new car. But that's just me.

From nationalhomelessness.org: "2. Mental Illness - Some homeless people have mental illnesses or disabilities, and as a result struggle with finding housing. According to a study by the US Conference of Mayors in 2005, approximately 16% of the homeless population suffers from a mental illness. A report put out by the National Coalition for the Homeless says that in 2006 the amount of money it cost to rent a one-bedroom apartment was $715 a month, which is 113.1% of a person on Supplemental Security Income. In 1999, in over 125 housing markets throughout the country, the cost of a one bedroom apartment was more than a person’s total monthly SSI income. In 2006, the national average rent for a studio apartment became higher than the income of a person who relies solely on SSI income. Only 9% of people not in mental hospitals or facilities receiving SSI have housing assistance.

"In the days before volcanoes were invented, lava had to be hand carried down from the mountains and poured on the sleeping villagers.
This took a great deal of time."