BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:00:50 -0400
This reminds me of the "prank" that radio announcers Opie and Anthony
pulled on April 1 in Boston (sometime around 1995).  This radio show
was very successful at the time and had displaced a multi-decade iconic
morning drive Boston radio show (the Big Mattress with Laquiderra).
They announced as "breaking news" that Mayor Menino was in a car
accident while attending a Mayor's Conference in Florida.  Later, they
broke into their show with another, "live" report from a "friend" that
they knew in Florida who had managed via side roads to get to the
accident site.  He reported that it looked like the Mayor was dead, as
was a "young Cuban woman", implying a prostitute, also in the car.  I
heard that show and it was actually very well done.  Unfortunantly for
O & A, some of the Mayor's family and political friends also heard it,
were convinced, and called his wife and other immediate family members.
  The wife and children were "extremely upset." Menino went fairly
ballistic and demonstrated that he had the power to get the radio
station's FCC license pulled.  That didn't happen, but Opie and Anthony
were fired, and something bad also happened to the show manager and the
station manager. It was really a very big deal that Opie and Anthony
were fired and it cost the radio station perhaps $2-4 million.

Later, Opie and Anthony showed up in various cities, notably NY, where
they were also fired as they honed their shock jock skills.  The NY
issue concerned instigating public sex in Saint Patrick's Cathederal,
which is how this relates to stone preservation and our Mississippi
correspondent.  Nope, O and A weren't altar boys.

SJS