From:
Eric Clegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:43:04 -0700
Hi Tom,
Boy your message brought back some memories. I'm 63 years old and used
readers all the way thru college and grad school.

I'm astounded that many younger people today don't seem to know how to use
that skill.

I have a fancy notetaker but always carry a slate and stylus with me
everywhere I go.

I wish for instance that someone would invent a little universal box with
computer power if necessary that you could interface to a rig and have it
read its menus directly.

I resent having to bring along a computer to access the menus on a qrp rig
for instance.

Then you get into the matter of haveing a pc with a serial port.

I've heard that some of hte serial to USB converters just don't work that
well.

I don't know what the anser is but I agree with you. We need more a a stand
alone system to give access to stuff and not just a computer driven
work-around.

They you get into the fact that sometimes when software is upgraded there
goes the access.

I'm glad someone has started this thread on what access should actually
mean.

Have a great weekend.

73,

Eric