AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vera Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:02:23 -0500

                      AAM ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

                     Saturday, November 14, 6:30 pm

                      GOODMAN COMMUNITY CENTER

                         149 Waubesa St. Madison

                  http://www.africanassociation.org

There is far more damage done to people of color and their plans &
purposes by the hidden racism in those we least suspect of harboring
racist tendencies.

  I recently read a review of a study showing that white democrats
were more likely to move their children out of a district due to race
than were white republicans. Look at white flight here in Dane county;
it's not just conservative Republicans taking their children out of
Madison schools.

I believe that misplaced sense of where the 'danger' is coming from
has helped our problems with race continue almost unabated.

That's analogous to being extremely concerned about bats, chipmonks,
rabbits, & voles while completely ignoring the termites destroying
your home from the inside.

May I suggest that you read 'Silent Racism' by Barbara Trepagnier.
This is the issue we need to be most concerned with. It is this that
contributes heavily to the institutional racism we all have to deal
with.

For example, I have read studies about students of color and their
experiences with racism on white, liberal campuses. Where's the racism
coming from? The hidden paternalistic type of racism is still racism,
still damaging, and still wrong.

www.silentracism.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 21, 2009, at 5:56 PM, John Stafford Anderson <[log in to unmask]
 > wrote:

>                     AAM ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
>
>                    Saturday, November 14, 6:30 pm
>
>                     GOODMAN COMMUNITY CENTER
>
>                        149 Waubesa St. Madison
>
>                 http://www.africanassociation.org

> Violent racists find union and embrace under the conservative
> umbrella.  Until the conservatives get rid of this vehement, violent
> base, let them be judged as being racist.
>
> John
>

> On Sep 21, 2009, at 4:38 PM, VERA R CROWELL wrote:
>

>> That's an excellent letter though I am tired of the assumption that
>> only conservative whites exhibit racist tendencies...that's simply
>> not true.

>>> difficulties. Often we have heard whites ask, "When are  African
>>> Americans
>>> finally going to get over it?
>>>

>>> Now  I want  to  ask:
>>>

>>> "When  are we White Americans going to get over our ridiculous
>>> obsession
>>> with skin color?
>>> Recent reports that "Election Spurs Hundreds'  of Race Threats,
>>> Crimes"
>>> should frighten and infuriate every one of  us. Having grown up in "
>>> Birmingham
>>> " Alabama in the 1960s, I  remember overhearing an avalanche of
>>> comments
>>> about what many white  classmates and their parents wanted to do to
>>> John and
>>> Bobby Kennedy  and Martin Luther King.
>>>

>>> Eventually,  as you may recall, in all three cases, someone
>>> decided to
>>> do
>>> more  than "talk  the  talk."
>>>

>>> Since  our recent presidential election, to our eternal shame we are
>>> once
>>> again hearing the same reprehensible talk I remember from my
>>> boyhood.
>>>

>>> We white people have controlled political life in the  disunited
>>> colonies
>>> and United States for some 400 years on this  continent.
>>>

>>> Conservative  whites have been in power 28 of the last 40 years.
>>> Even
>>>
>>> during the  eight Clinton years, conservatives in Congress blocked
>>> most of his
>>> agenda and pulled him to the right. Yet never in that period did I
>>> read any
>>> headlines suggesting that anyone was calling for the  assassinations
>>> of
>>> presidents Nixon, Ford, Reagan, or either of the  Bushes. Criticize
>>> them, yes.
>>>

>>> Call  for their impeachment, perhaps. But there were no bounties on
>>> their
>>> heads. And even when someone did try to kill Ronald Reagan, the
>>> perpetrator
>>> was non-political mental case who wanted merely to  impress Jody
>>> Foster.
>>>

>>> But elect a liberal who happens to be Black  and we're back in the
>>> sixties
>>> again. At this point in our history,  we should be proud that we've
> [...]
>>> white
>>> skin makes us superior?
>>>

>>> How  long before we white people get over our bitter resentments
>>> about
>>>
>>> being demoted to the status of equality with non-whites?
>>>

>>> How long before we get over our expectations that we should  be at
>>> the
>>> head
>>> of the line merely because of our white skin?
>>>

>>> How  long until we white people end our silence and call out our
>>> peers
>>>
>>> when they share the latest racist jokes in the privacy of our
>>> white-only
>>> conversations?
>>>

>>> I  believe in free speech, but how long until we white people start
>>> making
>>> racist loudmouths as socially uncomfortable as we do flag  burners?
>>>

>>> How  long until we white people will stop insisting that blacks
>>> exercise
>>> personal responsibility, build strong families, educate themselves
>>> enough to
>>> edit the Harvard Law Review, and work hard enough to  become
>>> President
>>> of
>>> the United States, only to threaten to  assassinate them when they
>>> do?
>>>

>>> How long before we start "living out the true meaning" of  our
>>> creeds,
>>> both
>>> civil and religious, that all men and women are  created equal and
>>> that
>>> "red and  yellow,  black and  white" all  are precious in God's
>>> sight?
>>>

>>> Until  this past November  4, I didn't believe this country would
>>> ever
>>>
>>> elect an African  American to the presidency. I still don't believe
>>> I'll live
>>> long  enough to see us white people get over our racism  problem.

>>> But  here's my three-point  plan:

>>> First,  everyday that Barack  Obama  lives in the White  House that
>>> Black
>>> Slaves Built, I'm going to pray that God (and the  Secret  Service)
>>> will
>>> protect him and his family from us white  people.
>>>
>>> Second,  I'm going to report to the FBI any  white  person I
>>> overhear
>>>
>>> saying, in seriousness or in jest, anything of a  threatening nature
>>> about
>>> President Obama.

>>> Third,  I'm going to pray to live long enough to see America
>>> surprise
>>> the
>>> world once again, when white people can "in  spirit  and  in  truth"
>>> sing
>>> of our damnable color prejudice,

>>> "We  HAVE  overcome."
>>> It takes a  Village to  protect our President!!!

>>> Microsoft  brings you a new way to search the web. _Try Bing™
>>> (http://www.bing.com/?
>>> form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_