Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Andrew S. Bonci, BA, DC, DAAPM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:03:58 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:
> Here is a quotation from a web article that has a great deal of
> information on gluten/casein intolerance and autism:
>
>         Autism researchers have been intrigued by the fact that a
>         PST deficiency can cause the improper metabolism of some
>         neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine and
>         noradrenaline.) It has been known for years that
>         autistics often have abnormal levels of serotonin, at
>         least as is measured in the blood. but the buildup of
>         serotonin may be less significant than another outcome of
>         PST deficiency--namely, the effect this deficiency would
>         have on the permeability of the intestinal lining.

Very interesting ... There is a reprint you should request from your
univeristy library, here's the citation:
        Debas HT, Mulvihill SJ.  Neuroendorine design of the gut. Am J Surgery
        1991; 161:243-249.

This is a good start to understanding the gut and serotonin.  Admittedly
well written for surgeons <TIC>!

This serotonin thing is cool.  Did you know that migraine sufferers can
abort an episode by forcing themselves to vomit?  Apparently, vomiting
and other GI contractions cause a release of gut serotonin which enters
the brain and somehow arrests the headache.  This mechanism may be
related to vasomotor properties of serotonin on the cerebral vessels.

> I would be *very* interested to learn whether the PST enzyme is
> itself sensitive to changes on the insulin/glucagon axis.
> If so, this would be another *major* confirmation of the Ancient
> Wisdom of paleodiet.

I did a paperchase search last night and obtained 33 citations on PST.
Am loking over them closely.  Did find a reference to modulation to PST
by quercetin the bioflavanoid from the rutin family.  Quercetin
downregulates PST.  Will keep you abreast.

Andrew  =8-)
--
Andrew S. Bonci, BA, DC, DAAPM
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnosis