Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:40:28 -0700

Like all Good Americans, I like salty/greasy/crunchy/horrendously bad
for me snacks. Potato chips used to fill that bill, just your basic
Lays, but I have eliminated them, at least for the time being, for fear
of cross contamination via the cooking fat, or the shipping container
they go in, or the carton tape the container is sealed with, or maybe
it's that fragment of McDonald's hamburger bun the delivery truck runs
over on its way to Albertson's that taints them, I don't know, the point
is, I need something else to fill my salt tooth. So, I picked up A NICE
BIG BOX of "Nut Thins". Couldn't wait to sink my teeth into a heaping
pile of these crunchy delights (they LOOK like poker chips, they TASTE
like poker chips, and they're GLUTEN FREE, just like POKER CHIPS!).
Well, I'd say each ~$4 box holds about half a heap. Compare that to the
Lawn-and-Leaf size bag of Lays you get for the same $$$. In fact, given
the price and the minuscule size of the bag inside the pretty box, the
whole transaction seems as though it should have been carried out
furtively on a street corner in a disreputable part of town. I could
EASILY eat 20 bucks worth of these things in a week. Week-and-a-half,
tops. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows any good, gluten free recipes
for something salty, crunchy and thin. Some suitable dough you could
pour/spread out in a sheet pan & bake quickly, maybe brush with a bit of
olive oil & dust with salt, let it cool than break it up into bite size
pieces? There must be something. These Nut Thins are taking a serious
chunk out of my rice and chicken budget...

David