From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:57:35 -0500
ALL "regular" Microsoft OSs you are likely to buy for yourself,
(in the supply channels you have access to),
will be licensed as a SINGLE INSTALL on a single machine.
(Consumer channel licenses are "always" written that way.)

I use XP-Pro Retail-(FPP), and (small)-OEM licenses,
and each license is for ONLY one machine.
MS has other programs (or "channels") that are VERY business oriented and not
something you *can* or would get involved with.
They call them *volume* for a reason.   ;-)

I'd go with Win7-64, as long as the hardware supported it.
(MB seems "OK" as listed below.)  "Certified For Windows® 7"
 "http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=812&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=44&LanID=9"
You can use the Win7 Upgrade Advisor program on your CURRENT working
machine to "test" your current hardware and programs for use on Win7.

Getting back to your questions, remember that making backups is important.
Keeping patches and drivers "local" is a great idea.
But, (there is always a but), that is sometimes hard.
AND, if the hardware changes "enough", an Acronis Image will RESTORE, but
because of certain possible hardware changes it might not run, boot, or work at all.
For all of the reasons above, it is better to have a fully supported OS with current
access to patches and support...  JMHO...

Rick Glazier

From: "Phillip Williams"  (some clipped.)
> So far, all my builds have been xp home though I have liked what I've
> read about xp pro such as the ability to use on multiple machines(?).
> What I'm wondering is if any of you can tell how media center compares
> to both xp home and pro and if ending support for xp will cause any
> difficulties later. wouldn't having all drivers backed up to cd take
> care of the support issue? Or even a total drive image using Acronis
> True Image?
>
> My components are:
> -ECS G31T-M mobo (micro atx)
> -(2) 2gig sticks of corsair xms2 DDR2 ram
> -450 watt PS
> -Intel Q9600 Quad processor
> -Optiarc DVD RW (AD 7200A) drive
> -WD caviar 320g sata hd
> (will add a graphics card and a second HD later)

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml