VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:26:34 -0400
Well, it's not only price, but more importantly, the price of these
external drives are combining cheaper and cheaper per gb of storage.
It is not unusual these days to see a 750gb and possibly upon occasion a
1tb (that is 1,000gb) of storage for around $100.

For those not familiar with external drives, there are 2 types:  1 is a
3.5-inch drive which is a.c. powered and is generally used with desktops
or laptops which are used more or less as desktops in a permanent
location.
The 2nd kind is a 2.5-inch drive which are ggenerally powered from a usb
port.  The drawback to these 2.5-inch drives is that there rotational
speed can be a bit slower (5400 rpm rather than 7200 rpm) and that, due to
getting their power from the usb port, can be a drain on the pc.
So the latter are viewed as portable drives and the former as drives to be
used in permanent locations.
I use both -- the 3.5 as my primary backup as well as my primary drive for
podcasts and radio recordings through streaming and the 2.5 portables when
on the road and as a secondary back-up backing up the back-up.
The smaller drives, being portable units, tend to be slightly more costly
per gb of storage as compared to their 3.5-inch cousins.

These drives are available almost everywhere -- the last one I bought was
at a Walmart. and Sunday sale ads always have some brand on sale
somewhere.

For serious pc users, they are a must.

The Holy Spirit is nothing more than God in motion.

Ray Pritchard, Keep Believing Ministries
from the sermon "The Wind Blows Wherever It Wills
http://www.keepbelieving.com/podcasts/HolySpirit1-Final.mp3"

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]