BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:30:28 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
* *What about melting the ice and snow with hot water?*
====
*I don't know why I'm so interested in this post, but I'd like to hear
the solution if anything comes up. I cracked my car windshield good one
time, pouring hot water on the ice, then the water froze in a sheet that
was almost impossible to get off the window. Hope hot water wouldn't
have the same effect on very cold stone, but don't really know, no
experience with stone, only concrete. There has got to be a commercial
de-icer that will not harm the stone. Snow I would assume, would just be
shovelled off, no chemicals involved.

My steep incline ramp up to my home is a random limestone walk with sand
mix all around to bed it,  and over the last couple years has been
incredibly slick, even just when wet. I used salt on it last year, and
the mortar deterioration seemed to accelerate, but I'm not sure that's
what caused it. Its underpinnings are shifting and that is contributing
to the cracking problem.

~deb