From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:24:30 -0600
    Colin and all:

I've been reading this discussion about the IC718 with interest, but have
not been keeping up with specifics as well as I should be.

First of all, congratulations, Butch!!!

That reminds me of the time I went to Dayton in 2002 and came away with a
THF6A.  Not quite as good of a prize as the 718, but I still use that THF6
to this day!

I did indeed have an IC718 for about 4 or 5 years, and actually loved that
little radio.  Sold it to someone, though, to get funds for one of my
Kenwood TS480's.

Basically, you can't go wrong with the 718.  It is an excellent radio--not
top of the line, but nowhere near the bottom either!

I would have kept mine, if I had had enough money for one of the TS480's I
wanted at the time.

For Butch, I am not sure what kind of documentation you have, or what
questions you need answers to, but feel free to tap into my wisdom, and I'll
try the best I can to help.

From what I remember, I did need sighted assistance to do some of the set-up
functions, but after that, and once I had the UT102 voice chip installed,
the rig actually became very accessible.

I can look around later tonight if you'd like for any documentation I might
still have, so let me know if you want it, and I'll try to send it along if
I can find it.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ