From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:23:30 -0500
For a tube amp where you have plate tuning and loading controls, you have
some leeway.  I would say that you could go to at least 3:1, probably a
little more.  The actual power output will be (very approximately) the
difference between the forward and reflected power.  A high forward power
reading means that the current or the voltage along the line is not the
normal expected for a 50-ohm load.  Proceed with some caution, especially on
the low bands.  Also, if it's a solid-state amp without a tuner behind it,
you need to stay pretty close to 1:1.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls