From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:28:43 -0700
terrible situation.

I was lucky as a youth.
my parents drove a mini van for most of my period of radio
enthusiasm...which started when I was about 12.
By the time I was 16 I had no fewer than 3 magnit mount antennas, all 5/8's
wave length whips, on the roof of the van.
My dad was particularly generous in letting me do whatever I pleased as far
as mobile antennas were concerned on his 68 shev pickup.
At one point I had 2 sets of co phased dual fiber glass helical CB antennas
on the truck, along with a 102 inch whip off the side of the box.
One set of co phased antennas were on the mirrors, and the other set were
about a foot behind the cab mounted on the top of the box.
great fun with a 500W liniar during the peak of the second last cycle.
When my family got the honda civic in 99, I could only put two antennas on
the trunk since a 5ft long antenna on the roof of a compact car is, even to
me, an eye sore.

Same was true for antennas in and around the house.  My parents encouraged
me to experiment and learn.  Neither of them were hams, but they saw the
importance of me learning about electronics and radio.  When space allowed,
I had lots of dipoles, verticals, beams, all sorts of stuff up in the air.

I'm ever so slowly beginning to bring my gf around to the idea of perhaps
more than one antenna on the car, or perhaps a bigger one in place of the
quarter wave maggy mount on the trunk lid now.
I figure who cares about a 91 tercel anyway, i might as well have fun with
antennas while we have the old junker...since i'm going to have to start the
convincing process all over again when we get a new vehicle.
She's even beginning to show interest in the hobby itself...perhaps in
another year or two I can convince her to get her license and then it'll be
clear sailing.
73
Colin, V A6BKX