From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:45:21 -0500
Hi Butch, IMHO, you got the best of the wideband handhelds I've owned and
used.  To better answer your questions, I went back maybe two years, and dug
up a piece I sent to one or maybe both of the blind ham lists after
answering a question from a blind fellow with SW interests, who wasn't on
that list.  which is quoted in part below.  (Only thing I forgot to include
in that piece, was a real comment on battery life.
Two AA NIMH cells, or for that matter, 2, AA Alkaline cells will give much_
better and _Less expensive battery life than the Yaesu Rechargeable AA pack.
That pack has a novel design, cells are well fastened together with a square
terminal space appearing on each of the two cells.  These squareish
holes/may not be really square, it's been nearly 3years since I've had one
of these radios, anyway, when put in the radio/that pack will only go in one
way, with the pack's terminals on its' underside, they correspond to two
"nibs" in the battery well, which suffice both for receiving charge via the
ext power port, and for giving back power to the radio.)
If I can be of further help, call me, thanks, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.

"In terms of wideband handheld all band all mode strictly receivers, Ive had
and used,

3Icom R10s, 3or4Yaesu VR500s, and an aor1000.

All work on all bands, giving AM, NFM, WFM, USB, LSB, and CW modes, but
there's a good bit of difference between them.
However, each individual vr500, and each r10, acted very similarly, although
I didn't
have all of them at the same time, but did use them under similar
circumstances in much the same area /same house, with much the same
antennae.

All three have full keyboards,  They're configured differently, but all can
be programmed for speciffic freqs, modes, mems, etc.

Not sure if the aor1000 can be programmed via computer, but The Icom and The
Yaesu have software and cables, and I've used the Yaesu, which worked but
was
not very screne reader friendly.

.

My favorite of the batch is the vr500.

It runs on only 2 A Acells, or 5-14VDC, and has _Much better battery life
than the Icom, and somewhat better battery life than the AOR, both of which
use
4 A As, or 5-14VDC.

The r10's a __________Battery ____________Hog!

Icom has best/fullest sound, the radio and speaker are a _good bit bigger,
and the aor1000's size and sound characteristics are similar to those of the
R10.

but the yaesu's, sound though a little tinnier is certainly adequate, and
because the radio is so much smaller, it's much more portable and less
visible
than the other two, which are somewhat like the "brick type HTS.

In my oppinion, of the widebanders I've used,
the vr500 has a good attenuater and a very good narrow keyboard setting
which really helps with AM, SSB, and CW, adjacent station interference.

Overloading can certanly be a problem with any of them in a strong signal
situation, and on AM and SW, at night.

All Of the receivers need a different ant for US WX broadcasts,

An Icom Stubby Marine Band Duc  10-15$s Seemed Best.

a 20-50 inch telescopic antenna works well for AM/SW broadcasts,

and a 23foot or so piece of wire soldered to the center pin of a bnc
connecter connected to the radio will do nicely.

The OEM Ducks, seem pretty widebanded, and except for all of their poor
performance on WX freqs, seem to do pretty well elsewhere, _especially
considering the _extremely wide range of freqs they serve.
Any of these radios need a softcase,

OEM, or something else/camera/cellphone/something, to protect them from hard
floor hits.  The Yaesu's metal case with plastic back is the most robust,
the AOR, hard plastic the least.
If I remember properly, Icom makes a leather case available for the R10/not
included with radio, Yaesu has an optional neopreme leatherette type
softcase, and I'm not sure about the AOR.

Finally, None Of These Radios Will Do as well over a particular portion of
the broadcast spectram, as will as a radio or scanner particularly designed
for
that portion of the spectram.

A portable fm-mw-lw-sw receiver will do much better for those particular
freqs than will any of these,

and a basic scanner will do better on particular public service bands.

But these little guys give a portable all band, all mode, and pretty simple
way to check up on activity over the "DCToDark radio spectram, and if that's
what you want, and your expectations are keyed to their reality/so you're
not expecting a Sony 2010 performance on SW,  you may find them to fill a
useful
nitch for you.

I don't have any for sale or swap, and I'm not connected with any
manufacturer or seller, just trying to be of help.  Sincere thanks for both
the list,
and the bandwidth.

Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.