BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:06:05 -0700
7bit
Sender:
Oregon's nickel's worth
My hunch, possibly in addition to holes reducing the amount of clay
needed and also shipping weight, has to do with what I learned working
with clay. Clay, under the vitrification process (this is higher-
fired, not low-fired clay), shrinks a lot and is subject to cracking
as temps go up then down. The holes would provide for the changing
temps to more easily be distributed through the clay body. Thus, less
cracking, crazing, warpage. I'd guess this would be true whether the
bricks were packed or extruded.

Mary

Mary Tegel
hands on impresario