From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:24:24 -0700

Dear Jane, Janet and celiac friends,

First, Jane: Good luck with your sleuthing. You might put soy on your list
of suspects if the fries you eat are cooked in soy oil.

I use olive oil for heavy dishes, safflower oil for lighter things like
omelets and baking. A real treat on salads is sesame oil. I hear walnut oil
is good, but I haven't tried it.

The only reason I don't use corn oil is that I could take only so much corn
when I first got my GI symptoms, and I continue to rotate corn in my meal
planning. (Except for those popcorn binges I used to have.) The corn oil
seemed to cause problems, so I decided to do without it. It would probably
be okay now that my gut has healed. (I was sugar sensitive then, and it may
have been affecting my blood sugar.)

I use so much soy milk and soy margarine that I have decided to not keep
soy oil around either. I get some on those rare occasions when I eat out
and have no problem with it.

If you are a new celiac with a fair amount of gut damage or a long history
of digestive problems, you might discover that some foods are just plain
hard to digest. I still find that I have to be in top condition to have a
few peanuts or eat something cooked in peanut oil. That's heavy duty fat,
plain and simple. I seem to digest the fat in brown chicken meat now, but
still can't eat pork or most cuts of lamb without feeling yucky afterwards.

Best of health to you all,
Mary

Mary Courtney
Los Angeles