From:
Karl Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 14:22:26 -0500
Ward Nicholson writes:

> Have any of you heard of these "Miracle Thaw" slabs of metal that are made
> out of a some special space-age alloy that is super-conductive of heat?
> I've heard they used to sell them with infomericals on T.V. and normally
> I'm quite skeptical of these things. But recently read I a consumer
> reports-type review of them by someone who is normally very skeptical who
> said they worked just as well as advertised, maybe even better.
>
> You lay frozen meat or anything else on it, and the alloy is so conductive
> that it will wick heat right into your meat and thaw it in something like
> 15 minutes or less. I would love to get my hands on one of these things,
> but I'm not sure where to look for them. Anybody have any leads? Thanks,

The 'exotic' alloy is plain aluminium and you're paying through the nose
for a simple slab of the stuff.  The 'Miracle Thaw' instructions will
tell you to run it under hot water first -- the slab picks up the heat
and that helps thaw whatever you place on it.

You can get the same results using an aluminium fry pan.

--
Karl Sackett                                    [log in to unmask]

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form
of tyranny over the mind of man." -- Thomas Jefferson