VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 04:37:33 -0400
Sherry (and all)

In fairness to Linda, I doubt that she has anything to do with any of this
and may even not be aware of any of this.
Someone apparently has gotten a hold of an email address book of hers,
perhaps not even a current one and has taken that info and spoofed her
address and appears to be sending email on her behalf even though it is
not on her behalf.  Unknown to most pc users, most email programs allow
you to modify the address from which an email appears to be coming from
and you may not realize it (and sometimes not even then) unless you
examine the complete path from the header info as to the route the email
may have taken.
The best practical solution, especially if you receive tens of this from a
given individual and have no need to correspond with that individual, is
to block that sender from showing up in your inbox, at least for the short
term.
And if Linda is still actively using this email address -- which she may
or may not -- she has likely heard from everyone under the sun by now so I
doubt that she needs to hear from anyone else on this both because she is
obviously aware of this and it is beyond her power to do anything about
it.
Sadly, this could happen to anyone of us and even more sadly without our
being able to stop it.
As I said, anyone can take anyone's email address -- or invent one -- and
create an email address list and send from it.
Kind of scary, isn't it? And I feel for you, Linda, if you happen to be
reading this.

 The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me; it has
hands, it lays hold on me.
 Martin Luther

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]