VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Colin r. Howard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin r. Howard
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:01:15 +0000
Greetings,

A friend has found the lost post and forwarded it to me so in case it may be
of use to others, I paste back the basic text below.

1. Do Windows key and r to open the run dialogue.

2. type:

sndvol32

press enter.

3.  The volume settings dialogue comes up, you do not need
to take any notice of this at present.

4. Do alt  and cursor down the menu, you need properties.

5. Enter.

6. There is first the device combo box, tab past this, then
you come to radio buttons.  On my Compac machine, there are
two shown but it says one or two of three, but I do not know
what the third one is as I've not seen it by arrowing
through the list.  As you reach each, it will be checked. In
my case, one is play, the other record.

7. You want the record volume, so when you reach it tab
once.

8.  You will now see a listbox headed show the following
volumes, these are a series of check boxes and, what they
are, is the list of possible volume devices available on
your sound card.  Normally, when you go into the windoes (or
Audacity or GoldWave) volumes, you see certain of them, the
ones you see up to now, are checked in this list.  To enable
recording what is going through the sound card and this
includes what you receive from the net, you need to check a
box which, in my case, is called stereo mix, but may be
called what you hear.

9. When you find in the list either stereo mix or what you
hear, check it.

10. Go to ok and enter.

11. You will now be back in the list of volumes and you
should now see the one or ones you checked in the list, any
you have unchecked will have gone, so, when you want to
recoard from the net (remember it will pick up **any** sound
going through the card, go into volume as usual and check
the box against stereo mix, adjusting the balance and level
as necessary and unchecking any others which are checked.

Of course, you will not get these right first time, it's a
matter of trial-and-error and getting to know the properties
of the card and how loud the incoming signal is.

Be interested in how you get on.

Update Sunday morning before going to the meeting.

I set this up on my desktop machine and recorded off the net
by doing:

1. Opened new file in GoldWave.

2. Went on to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7
which has now changed since this original post to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio7

and down to the listen live link then entered.

3. The IPlayer consol came up and soon the stream started.

4. I went back to the open file and did control with f9 to
start recording.

5. I let this run for about half a minute then did control
with f8 to stop recording.

6. I closed the IPlayer stream.

7. I went back to GoldWave and did f4, the recording, a
little on the quiet side, played perfectly.

From Colin Howard who  lives near Southampton in
Southern England.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]