VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:19:07 -0500
so, no read by word or spelling words or reading by letter.  seems a pretty poor device without these *basic* screen reading features for two grand.

On Feb 10, 2010, at 10:04 AM, East, Robin wrote:

Hi, sorry, I had posted more then twice yesterday and I was rejected by the server, weird...
So here is an in progress evaluation I have been working on that gives some of the information you are seeking...

Eye-Pal Solo
Version 1.3
Model: European Model
1.0 Recommendation
The Eye-Pal SOLO is a self-contained motion activated reading device that instantly reads from any book or printed material.

The EyePal solo  is recommended for CRA employee use.

For recommendations on other devices, please read Obtaining an assessment  section for information on requesting an assessment.

2.0 Overview
The Eye Pal SOLO will virtually read to you on its own .There are no buttons to press, no menus to set up, no prior instructions to read, no training required, and, lastly, no connection to a PC. Eye-Pal SOLO is easy to use.  The set up takes just a few minutes. Just insert the camera stand, connect to the camera's USB port, insert the power cord into a wall outlet, press the Power button to power On and finally connect the keypad to the unit. then place the document under the camera, and within a few seconds the Eye-Pal SOLO will begin reading aloud.

The eye-Pal Solo comes with many languages including English and French.

3.0 Installation

Step 1- Place the Base on a flat surface with the front panel, the one with buttons, facing you. Connect the two parts of the power supply together. Then, plug the correct end into the power outlet and the other end into the back of the Base on the left side.

Step 2- Firmly press the bottom of the Neck into the hole on the top surface of the Base so that the camera extends directly over the middle of the Base. It only fits one way. When properly inserted, the Neck will not be able to twist.

Step 3- At the bottom of the Neck, now attached to the base, there is a short USB cable. Plug this cable into the USB port located on the back of the Base.

Step 4- Plug the end of the Keypad cable into the USB port located on the right side of the base.
4.0 Usage
The Eye-Pal Solo has a base  that is  8.5inches by 11 inches by 2 inches. The neck or rod that holds the camera at the back of the base is 16inches high from the desk and 14 inches high from the top of the base and the camera is centered over the base.

Once you turn the power you will ehar musical tones. Once the tones stop the eye-Pal Solo will be ready for use. Simply put a document on the base making sure that it covers the center of the base. Within two seconds or so you will hear a camera shutter sound and in another three seconds the document is being read out to you.

- Hand motion activated controls:
You can use hand motion to pause, resume, or go back to the previous sentence.  A wave of the hand from left to right under the camera will pause the reading, then with another wave of the hand the Eye-Pal SOLO will resume reading the text where it had stopped.  A hand wave from right to left under the camera will begin reading from the previous sentence.  Just wave again and again to go back one sentence at a time until you return to the desired sentence.

Front Panel controls::
There are five buttons located on the front of the base and one dial button that controls the same functions as the hand wave motions mentioned above. Also, you can press the Speed button to increase or decrease the reading speed, turn the Volume dial to increase or decrease the voice level, enable or disable the hand wave motions, Reset the unit,and Power On and Off the eye-Pal.

There is an optional keypad that allows you to control the Eye-Pal as described above.

5.0 Other
5.1 Security

Users must beware of the information being listen to. Since the eye-Pal solo  allows the user to  listen with or without ear phones   a situation could arise in which the user uses the device in areas where person(s) could overhear what
was being listened to.

In situations where confidential or sensitive information could potentially be overheard by a nearby individual, the use of earphones is recommended.

Since this device can use a USB Memory stick, the following should be adhered:
List of 4 bullits
* The USB memory stick can be connected to a CRA designated work computer bia a USB port.
and Files can be transfered to the PC. Please consult the Security Volume policy.
* Files saved on the USB memory stick must be deleted as soon as possible.
* The USB memory stick card must be stored in a locked cabinet.
* If lost, a report must be submitted to the local Security office.
list end

6.0 Known Issues
list of 2 items
1. An USB memory stick  can be used with the eye-Pal solo..
2. Caution is warranted if the USB memory stick is left in the Eye-Pal Solo. as files can be saved on the USB memory stick.
list end

7.0 Conclusion

This stand alone Eye-Pal Solo  unit is completely accessible for blind and partially sighted employees. It is important to note that a USB memory stick  must be purchased in order to save files that can be transferred to a PC.

8.0 Product Information

Product Name: Eye-Pal Solo
Version: 1.3 Model European
Company Name: