VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:40:58 -0400
Don

What do you mean by powerhub?

If you mean an a.c. powered one rather than one powered by the usb port
itself, it will give you greater reliability and performance as it isn't
sapping the power of the pc.
Portable hubs (that means ones drawn their power from the pc itself) are
nice in mobile or portable situations; but when a pc is at a permanent
location and you need to power too many usb gadgets for available ports, I
would always suggest using a hub that draws electrical power.

As an example, I used to use a 4-slot portable hub on a desktop.  One of
the devices connected was a wireless keyboard.  I got frequent pc freezes
and Icouldn't diagnose the problem.  Then, quite accidentally, I plugged
the keyboard into a 7-slot usb hub, that was electricly powered, and no
further problems.

When you think about all this, it makes sense.  The pc can generate only
so much energy; and a hub is asking a pc to do more than perhaps it was
designed to do from a power standpoint, especially when you plug in a hub.

Just as obedience to the Lord is an indication of our love for him, so is it also
a proof of ourfear of God.
Jerry Bridges

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]