From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:14:25 -0400
Lyme Disease Success Stories and Therapeutic Foods

Ketogenic Diet (low-carb, high-animal-fat, near-raw) Lyme Disease Success Story:
http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/showthread.php?pid=37797

(02-09-2009 11:06 PM)delfuego Wrote:  I see some posts popping up here about suet. My wife (the young lady who suffered from Lyme) and I tried numerous fats with our pemmican: bone marrow, straight suet (kidney fat), muscle fat, and a mix of suet and muscle fat.

The clear winner in regards to my wife's health has been making our pemmican with muscle fat. I looked into this, I was intrigued because everything I'd ever read said that the preferred fat (for pemmican) was the highly saturated Kidney fat. But then I saw something interesting, suet has little in the way of choline while muscle fat contains a very high amount. Choline is, among other things, very useful in the digestion of fat!

I believe, through our experience, that we are best suited to eat muscle meat and the fat that lines it. If I were to make organ meat pemmican (I actually have!) I would use suet (I actually did!).

Sincerely,
Delfuego

(02-09-2009 01:44 PM)delfuego Wrote:  I have a theory on why pemmican worked to heal my wife but raw meat and fat or cooked meat and fat didn't. First, the meat in pemmican is still raw it's just been dried not cooked. Secondly, the digestibility of pemmican HAS to be a factor. I remember the first I heard of pemmican was in the book "Neanderthin". Ray Audette mentioned that pemmican was the perfect food because it digests so completely. He compared it to mother's milk. I don't have the book in front of me or else I'd quote it! And thirdly, this may seem weird to some of you but I believe pemmican may be the only food that is completely devoid of mold or bacteria.

We did a test once and tried eating the dried meat (not yet powdered) dipped in rendered fat. We were eating the essential pemmican elements (dried red meat and rendered animal fat) but not in pemmican form. We ate this way for several weeks and the results were staggering (at least to us!)! She started to get sick again - ALL of the Lyme disease suffering was coming back! We switched back to pure pemmican and BAM! She was better!

Bacteria, mold, fungus, candida and apparently even the Lyme bacteria cannot exist within animal fat (at least not within beef or bison fat). This means that not only is she not feeding her disease through what she eats but she is also actively KILLING her disease by how she eats.

We've tried everything in every way related to meat and fat to get her well - pemmican works ... always! So we love it - we love it for how strong it makes us, we love it for how happy it makes us, we love it for how beautiful it makes us and we love it for how loving it makes us!

Sincerely,
Delfuego

RE: Pemmican - how are people doing? - delfuego - 02-10-2009 07:40 PM

(02-10-2009 07:25 PM)Catin Wrote:  Actually Delfuego, if you powder meat it has even more surface area than ground beef. Think of a large rock versus a bag of sand.

Is your wife's Lyme Disease not treatable with antibiotics?

But Catin - BIG point here: The powdered meat is then saturated with animal fat! No surface room for bacteria, mold etc...!! Good clean fun for your stomach and intestines! A bug free life!!

Antibiotics? Bite your tongue. Her digestive tract was nearly destroyed by years of antibiotics - and yet she still had Lyme. Pemmican destroyed it. End of story!

Delfuego

Another Ketogenic Diet Lyme Disease Success Story:

http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=paleofood;bf76c492.1107
Subject: Re: Lyme Disease
From: Kristina Carlton
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:12:50 -0500

> Hi Kristina,
>
> The lyme bacteria feeds mostly on glucose.  A ketogenic diet will kill
> off most of it and likely push the rest into dormancy. Keeping your
> carbs below 20 grams per day should do it.  After you are stable you
> can then experiment to determine what level of carb you can tolerate,
> if you feel the need.
>
> On the first round, with the massive die off, there will probably be
> substantial toxins released by the dying bacteria.  Take it easy on
> yourself.
>
> An all pemican diet would be one of the easy ways to do it that would
> require no fasting.
>
> My girlfriend has lyme and after 18 months, when a few rounds of
> antibiotics, herbal approaches, and anything else we could find, did
> not solve the problem, we started to do research.  Once we figured out
> that lyme needs glucose, she choose to take some time off and do a 10
> day reduced caloric ketogenic fast, limiting caloric intake to 400
> calories per day with no carbs.  The easiest way, for her, was to eat 5
> eggs a day, water, and nothing else.  The die off kicked her butt.
> Before starting the fast she had severe pain in most of her joints, and
> cloudy thinking.  There was noticeable improvement within a week.
>
> I can put you in touch if you would like to speak to her.
>
> Ben.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the info. I would love to get in touch with your girlfriend.
However, I have been eating Paleo since 2003 and zero carb since July 2009
and it has not done a thing for me. I tried just pemmican as William
suggested because I am familiar with Delfuego's wife's recovery on it, but
didn't do it long enough I suppose. It seems no matter how drastically I
reduce carbs, I am feeding something. At least that's what it feels like.

Kristina

Partial Explanation of How Ketogenic Diets Fight Lyme Disease:

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2009/8/7/comparing-suet-muscular-fat.html

Anti-fungal Properties

Suet and muscular fat are rich sources of essential fatty acids, especially lauric and oleic acid, which both have strong antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Research shows that both oleic and lauric acids are effective in killing the fungal actions of candida (can-di-duh) as well as halting its systemic progress.

Avoiding Dairy, Wheat and Nightshades Helped Lyme Disease Patient
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/lyme_disease.html

[BETTER BUT NOT CURED]  09/10/2010: Carol from Flushing, Michigan writes: "It is estimated that as much as 80% of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia have Lyme disease. This is a bacterial infection caused by the bite of a deer tick. Also there are secondary infections that go along with it as well. Finding a doctor that can correctly diagnose you is a problem however. I was chronically ill for 14 years before I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I currently drink Goji Juice. Diet and nutrition are very important. Foods such as dairy and wheat can contribute to inflammation. I also found that nightshades like tomatoes, potatoes, red and green peppers affect my joints."

Other Antibacterial Foods
In addition to animal fats (preferably raw, rendered or low-cooked and 100% grassfed), there are other foods that have antibacterial properties, like raw honey (especially raw fermented honey), extra virgin coconut oil and raw fermented veggies like traditional sauerkraut:

Honey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

"Excessive heat can have detrimental effects on the nutritional value of honey.[51][52] Heating up to 37°C (98.6°F) causes loss of nearly 200 components, some of which are antibacterial. Heating up to 40°C (104°F) destroys invertase, an important enzyme. At 50°C (122°F), the honey sugars caramelize. Generally, any large temperature fluctuation causes decay.[53]

Some wound gels which contain antibacterial raw honey and have regulatory approval are now available to help treat drug-resistant strains of bacteria (MRSA). One New Zealand researcher says a particular type of honey (Manuka honey) may be useful in treating MRSA infections.[59]) As an antimicrobial agent honey may have the potential for treating a variety of ailments. Antibacterial properties of honey are the result of the low water activity causing osmosis, hydrogen peroxide effect,[60] high acidity,[61] and the antibacterial activity of methylglyoxal.[62]
Honey appears to be effective in killing drug-resistant biofilms which are implicated in chronic rhinosinusitis.[63]"

Honey as an Antibiotic: Scientists Identify a Secret Ingredient in Honey That Kills Bacteria
ScienceDaily (July 12, 2010)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm
"Sweet news for those looking for new antibiotics: A new research published in the July 2010 print edition of the FASEB Journal explains for the first time how honey kills bacteria. Specifically, the research shows that bees make a protein that they add to the honey, called defensin-1, which could one day be used to treat burns and skin infections and to develop new drugs that could combat antibiotic-resistant infections."

Novel Antibacterial and Emollient Effects of Coconut and Virgin Olive Oils in Adult Atopic Dermatitis
 http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/586673

Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
 The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

Warning: excessive intake of coconut oil can cause nausea due to the high level of easily-absorbed medium-chain triglycerides. Some people are more sensitive than others.

Antimicrobial Activity of Sulfur Compounds Derived from Cabbagei;
www.ncsu.edu/foodscience/USDAARS/Acrobatpubs/P254-286/P264.pdf

Fermenting Sauerkraut Produces Stronger Cancer Fighter
By Ross Grant
HealthScoutNews Reporter
10-24-2
http://www.rense.com/general30/fermentingsauerkraut.htm
"according to a study in the latest issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.... Besides its anti-cancer agents, sauerkraut has antibacterial qualities and acids that help the body digest the cabbage."