From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:25:37 +0000

Re previous posts on fructose:- The available evidence does link low fructose levels to infertile mammals:-

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=9B42540D6AF81547BD4E17673C6AC632.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=4494276

I suppose this is unsurprising as fructose is needed by sperm to survive. The point is that fructose is used by the body as a healthy substance for its sperm, if it were really  so deadly and we humans were fully adapted to an all-meat/100%-fructose-free diet, then another substance would have been used. of course, this is not directly applicable to the effect of fructose in general digestion, but it does indicate that it is not a universal poison of some sort, despite hysteric claims from the likes of Ray Peat et al.

Also, the available studies generally indicate that natural fructose in fruits is not only not harmful, because its consumption is below the dosage point where harm occurs, but also the fructose in fruit is accompanied by antoxidants and other substances unlike corn-syrup

 which consists of useless calories not absorbed properly by the body:-

The real clincher , though, is that the majority of studies show distinct benefits for diets high in vegetables, fruit and nuts, which of course, have some levels of unrefined fructose in them :-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10517425

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/5/1/14

etc.etc.etc.

,nothing like the high levels of refined fructose found in corn-syrup, of course, thus demonstrating that a raw, omnivorous palaeo diet is perfectly healthy.

Ketogenic diets seem only really useful for combatting epilepsy but there are many unpleasant side-effects. One should also note that ketogenic diets are a very new phenomenon so one can't tell what would happen in a few decades(although one can make a good guess given the trans-fats involved etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet#Adverse_effects

Re nuts:- Actually, in rawpalaeo circles, nuts are mostly frowned upon because of the high antinutrient levels in them - people like me get digestive issues from them if eaten in large amounts(which makes me doubt they were eaten in any real quantity before the advent of cooking. Of course, cooking can lower the levels of antinutrients but that merely creates further problems of another nature re heat-created toxins etc.. So, given the lack of nuts, such as on my own diet, I have nothing to worry about re PUFAs(also the  rawpalaeodiet avoids highly-processed/refined seed oils such as olive-oils, I'd much rather eat  solid, raw olives instead.

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/