From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 10:39:04 -0400
Very good point.  Microwaves are no better, and probably worse, than
regular cooking.  I haven't seen any actual data on what a microwave does
to food, but I think of it like this:  the body is probably a little more
likely able to handle regular cooked food than what comes out of a
microwave, especially if it alters molecular structure.  Personally, I try
to keep microwave use to a minimum.

The difference between what heat cooking and what microwaving does is still
a little unclear to me.  I've read that it breaks down some molecules into
unnatural compounds that the body may not be able to handle, or handle
well.  Like I said, though, I've yet to see any specific data on what the
microwave does to food.  Mechanically it sounds fairly innocuous.  It just
excites the water molecules, which creates heat.  I'd really like to read
something on this topic.  Anybody know of anything?

I have read in a few place recently about a study done on cats.  Two groups
of cats were fed cooked meat and raw meat respectively.  (No more
information is given on how the meat was cooked, or how much it was
cooked.)  The group on the cooked meat was largely unable to reproduce
after three generations, was weak and had skeletal deformities.  The group
on raw meat was normal.  Some of the cats on the cooked meat diet were
switched back to raw meat.  They recovered enough to reproduce, and their
offspring were normal.

Is this problem as serious for us?  Maybe not, but it's likely that it
applies to some degree.  I know I try to eat as much of my beef as rare as
possible (I cook it until the outside turns brown and that's it).

I'm sorry I can't definitively answer your question.  I'm going to try to
do a little more research on this topic and if I find anything of interest
I'll be sure to post it.

John Pavao

>Well, the food industry is pushing for it, so that scares me right there.
(snip)

>John Pavao

John, speaking of irradiation, what do you think about microwaves? A friend
of mine says that is changes the molecular structure of foods and will not
use one. But doesn't all cooking change the molecular structure of foods?
Why is a microwave worse than a frying pan or an oven, for example?  Does
anyone know? I use a microwave a lot for re-heating.

Moira