From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:51:40 -0400
Recently someone stated that modern hunter/gatherers obtain 50% of their
food from animal sources.  I assume that means 50% of their caloric intake.
 If so, I guess nearly 50%, or maybe (I'm just guessing) 40%of the rest of
the diet comes from carbohydrate, since, except in times of year when nuts
are abundant, most plant food calories come from carbohydrates.  (I'm just
thinking here so don't jump on me for being too ornery without having
enough time on this mailing list).
If that's is about right, then they have to eat an awful lot of plant foods
to get those calories.  I like to study wild edible plants and they are
high on fiber and low on calories.  That means that these hunter/gatherers
ate enormous amounts of fiber.  I know the Paleodiet includes the need for
fiber, but to come close to what these hunter/gatherers eat we would have
to either eat lots of wild foods or take supplements.  The average American
eats just 12 grams of fiber a day.  More and more the research is saying
that 30 to 40 grams of fiber is optimal.  How are most followers of the
Paleodiet getting enough fiber?

Also, the Adkins diet is sort of lumped together with the Paleodiet as in
the same family of diets.  But I remember going on the Adkins diet 20 years
ago and keeping my carbohydrate intake to such a low level that I was
constantly in Ketosis, and checked my urine to be sure of it.  But it seems
that Hunter/gatherers would not be in ketosis, generally, since half of
their diet comes from plant sources.  So, aren't the Adkins diet and the
hunter/gatherer diet really worlds apart?  Just asking.

...if you are tired of going over this again and again, then please don't
answer and then tell me you are tired of going over this again and again...

Thanks
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC