C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:52:07 -0600
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Michael H. Collis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would say that it would be fine for an infant to have this done, but it's
> not a cure all.  The article even states that.  The stem cells will only
> lessen the C.P., not cure it.

Given the state of research on stem cells I'd say that no one should
even consider this for any child (yet).  We have no idea of the long
term safety or side effects of such a treatment.  Stem cells are
pluripotent, they will do many things, not just "help" the CP
symptoms.  It is possible that the long term side effects will include
cancer, immune diseases or other genetic diseases.  Personally, as
much as wish this was a reasonable thing for our child there is no way
I could consider it.

--
Peter Hunsberger