C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:48:09 -0400

From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 09:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - October 2009

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/cerebrumHeader.gif>

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science

October 2009

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Dear Cerebrum Reader,

A new article and a new book review have been added to Cerebrum's 2009 Web edition.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,eg1d,lzl,dlq4,m3a0>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,eg1d,lzl,dlq4,m3a0> Wired for Hunger: The Brain and Obesity

By Marcelo O. Dietrich, M.D., and Tamas L. Horvath, D.V.M., Ph.D.

Because food is not always plentiful, humans have evolved to eat whenever it is available. Researchers are starting to tease out the brain circuits that elicit this "eat" message, a network that may contribute to widespread obesity today. Effective obesity treatment likely will involve a combination of drugs, in addition to psychological approaches and exercise. An accompanying story addresses what goes wrong in people with anorexia nervosa.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,dyl2,ac8a,dlq4,m3a0>

BOOK REVIEW

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/spacer.gif>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,dyl2,ac8a,dlq4,m3a0> The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

By David A. Kessler, M.D.

Rodale Books, 2009

Reviewed by Lisa J. Merlo, Ph.D., and Mark S. Gold, M.D.

Former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner David A. Kessler presents a provocative theory of why we overeat, complete with sound (though somewhat limited) science, a pair of addiction researchers write in this review.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0> Also in Cerebrum

We hope you enjoyed our recent article,  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,dbxf,az1p,dlq4,m3a0> "Updating the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," by David J. Kupfer, M.D., Emily A. Kuhl, Ph.D., William E. Narrow, M.D., M.P.H., Darrel A. Regier, M.D., M.P.H., and Paul R. McHugh, M.D. These and all 1998-2009 articles and book features are available in our  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,5xld,izb3,dlq4,m3a0> Web edition archive.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,5s31,5k6w,dlq4,m3a0> On the Dana Web Site

The Dana Web site is the online home of the Dana Foundation, a philanthropy active in advancing knowledge of brain science, immunology, and arts education. While on the Dana Web site, be sure to read the  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,iry0,594,d2g6,3ogu,dlq4,m3a0> Dana Foundation blog.

  <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

 Dana Press <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/logo_danapress.gif> Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
A Dana Press publication

202-408-8800