Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:45:06 -0400

I had no idea that waffles would be so interesting! I will split this
summary in to two parts so it will go through the listserv.
There are many solutions to the waffle-sticking-to-the-waffle-iron
problem.   First of all, people love their waffles to
  the point of fighting over them at breakfast.   Secondly, people in
the GF community seem to wear out a lot of waffle irons,
as many as one every two years.   Thirdly, there are many waffle irons
that work well; Many people like to use Pam spray
(I had hoped to avoid that because it has always seemed to me that
aerosolized oil might not be a great thing to breathe).
The waffle iron that I was using when I asked the question was a
Cuisinart, but I had not used Pam before putting in the batter.
The result was an amazing disaster of waffle cement,  adhered to both
plates of the waffle iron with nearly perfect distribution.

I was not the only person whose waffles were sticking.   One writer says
"I will be eager to know this one too! My waffle maker started out great...
then after the first waffle, it was difficult to get out. I can't wait
to see who has had a waffle maker (for any length of time...not just at
first) that doesn't do this."

This summary is in 3 sections.   Advice from the pros comes first, then
information on batter and oil, then in a separate email there are
comments on specific brands of waffle irons. -Alice

_*Professional advice*_:

1. When we first made waffles, we used home style waffle makers, and it
doesn't really matter what brand you use.
Reliability of specific irons as far as making the waffles isn't and
issue as much as them holding up. It got to the point
  that I would go to Target and buy the cheapest ones because we burnt
so many of them out.

Make sure that you oil your iron very well, and give it some a minute to
reheat between sets of waffles. If the Iron isn't
hot enough, you don't get a set crust on the outside of the waffle and
they stick. The iron has to reach a temp of about
300 plus degrees, depending on the waffle. Use a nylon spatula with a
thin flat edge (for non stick units) to peel the outer
edge of the waffle first. This will allow the centers to release better.
Use shortening when possible instead of oil in your batter.
For some reason, the melting of the shortening helps the batter to release.

These are the recommendations I give to our customers if they have
problems with making waffles with our mix, and it usually resolves any
issues..

Thanks Paul, Mr. Ritt's

2.        Over the past 10 years we have used and worn out 4-5 different
wafflemakers.   We always get a non-stick finish, and use a spray before
heating them.
We spray each time before putting in the batter.   We never had a
problem getting the waffles out unless someone forgot to spray it.
Then it is a booger to clean, oil again and it is good to go.

We never use a mix, but make our own, but don't know why you are having
somuch trouble, unless you fail to spray.
Brand name and model number are notwhat makes the difference.   I order
various ones from Amazon or buy at Target.
I prefer the Belgian waffler, but we also have one for kids that has
four farm animal designs.   None of them stick.

Come on over, and I will make waffles for you! Anne and Joe Barfield
Chicken Paradise GF B&B

*Part 2 is coming next.*

*******
*******