C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 15:08:40 -0400
http://www.shmais.com/chabad-news/latest/item/undeterred-by-illness-jewish-t
ween-wants-to-change-the-world

Undeterred by Illness, Jewish Tween Wants to Change the World

Posted Wednesday, May 16 2012 7:22pm in Chabad News, Russia & Ukraine

 By Karen Schwartz - Chabad.org/news

(Chabad.org) Every night when Avery Sax goes to sleep, she says the
twice-daily prayer known as the Shema.

"I've always said my prayers before bed, but now I realize they have bigger
meaning," she said.

The 11-year-old was airlifted to Children's Hospital Los Angeles in March
2011 after a hemorrhage, and diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation
that affects her brain's blood vessels. It was touch and go for several
weeks. (Her condition has been classified as inoperable due to the high risk
of further bleeding and the diffuse nature of the malformation.)

Once released with a slew of warnings, Avery made the decision to make sure
she lives life to its fullest. She likes to cheer, bicycle, swim, walk and
also writes a blog to try and help people make better choices for
themselves. Inspired by services and classes at her local Chabad-Lubavitch
center, she infuses everything she does with a Jewish outlook.

Currently, she's spearheading a challenge called Recycle with brAvery,
aiming to inspire others to believe in themselves, each other and G-d. She
set a goal of collecting 100,000 plastic bottles and aluminum cans by Earth
Day, and added another zero to the end of her goal, aspiring to collect one
million bottles and cans by the end of the year.

"I think we can change the world and make the whole world a better place to
be, one bottle at a time," Avery remarked. "I'm only 11 years old, but I've
seen how much people have done."

"Avery strongly believes in something she cannot see," Avery's mother,
Kimber Sax, said of her daughter's faith. "She set a huge goal, a number
that most cannot fathom. But by inspiring people to act, by showing people
they can make the choice, she's inspired people to believe in themselves, to
see that their actions make a difference.

"The process forces so many of us to believe, to have faith and trust that
there is always hope," she added.

Even though doctors have told her that she might not wake up in the morning,
Avery kisses her mother goodnight each evening and takes strength from the
knowledge that G-d will take care of her.

"My own child impresses me," said Sax.

Judaism, and Avery's connection with Chabad of Moorpark directors Rabbi
Shimon and Devorah Leah Heidingsfeld, plays a huge role in keeping her
motivated. She started attending the Chabad Hebrew school six months before
she was diagnosed and was up and out the door every Sunday without
complaint. Her mother expressed her gratefulness to Chabad for making faith
tangible to her kids.

"She loves everything there is to love about a Jewish home and family; she
even adores going to Devorah Leah and Rabbi Shimy's house so she can learn
more about being kosher and cooking," her mother explained. "She just loves
everything that makes her feel closer to the warmth and joy of being
Jewish."

Avery spends time at the Chabad House helping cook, and on Fridays and
Saturdays, can often be found at the park with the Heidingsfelds' three
kids.

"They taught me how to relax and enjoy Shabbat," said Avery. Instead of
going shopping with her friends, she slows it down some on the special day.
"I was usually running around and doing all sorts of stuff, and now I relax
and do Shabbat."

When Avery was in the hospital, the Rabbi would go home to have dinner with
his family and then turn around and make the long drive back to see Avery;
if he couldn't come, he made sure that another local rabbi was there.
Children from the local school made her gifts, lifting her spirits at Purim
time and beyond.

"I can be super-duper sick and tired and not feeling well and vomiting, and
then they'll come visit and knock on the door," said Avery. "As soon as they
knock on the door, I'll jump up and be happy; like I'm not sick at all."

Her mother said that such transformations are amazing.

"I truly have a very happy child, and I think she's happy and she gets
happier when she's there," Sax said of her daughter's connection to the
Chabad House. "I think she's learned enough through Devorah Leah and Shimy
to feel that everything happens for a reason and that the moremitzvahs that
we do, the higher the probability that she's going to go down the path
that's intended for her."

People have been trying to fundraise for her since she got sick, Avery said,
but she wanted them to think bigger, to muster assistance for others around
the globe.

"Why fundraise for me," she remarked, "when you can fundraise for the entire
world and planet?"

When it comes to her recycling project, she's just as focused.

"If I didn't believe my community could come together to reach this goal, I
wouldn't have set it," she said. "I see the good in the world with everyone,
and I believe everyone is good at heart."

The Heidingsfelds have been encouraging the Sax family to keep kosher and
call Avery by her Hebrew name. Devorah Leah Heidingsfeld noted that when
Avery was in the hospital, saying the Shema practically made her whole day.

"She's just very into connecting," Heidingsfeld observed.

Community member Isaiah James said that people just can't help but be
inspired when around Avery.

"She's just so fun-loving and has so much joy," he said. "She exudes and
maintains this beautiful joy despite the circumstances.

"I'm just taken aback and in awe of how much strength this child has," he
continued. "It empowers me to be stronger, despite what's going on in my
life."

Last updated:
Wednesday, May 16 2012 7:23pm