From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:36:17 -0500
I have been using N1MM for four or more years now, and am enjoying it more
now that I can use it to control the rotor as well as know what frequency
the FT-950 is on (which is displayed in the title bar).

You will probably want to download and install a "full install" version of
N1MM, followed by the latest update (which is a patch to the full install.
I use Window-Eyes, and don't try to have any more windows open than
necessary.  I don't have a braille display hooked up, so I let Eloquence
talk, although I end up hitting the Control key a lot.  I have not purchased
any hardware for keying the transceiver from the N1MM program.  Instead, I
use the memory keyer built into the 950, along with an accessory keypad that
Yaesu sells for controlling message playback.  I find that if things are too
automated, I may tend to fall asleep at the switch.

I set up Window-Eyes so that when I hit the spacebar, which moves you among
important fields in the logging process, Window-Eyes will automatically read
the "field name".  This doesn't work exactly right, but I can always hit the
Current cursor line key to read the field again.  I have to be careful to do
things in the correct sequence:  Enter callsign; hit spacebar and check if
the supplied zone is correct; correct this if necessary, press Enter.
Failure to stay in sync can result in two callsigns appearing in one log
entry, which may not be easy to correct later.

I ought to be able to set up a window color to have Window-Eyes
automatically say "dupe" if I attempt to work someone twice.  Instead, I put
my mouse cursor on the line where "dupe" will appear, and press the mouse
current line key occasionally if I am in doubt.  I may move the mouse
pointer to the bottom of the window, where the current score is shown, and
up one line from there where the bearing of the currently worked station is
shown.

If you tune your rig to one of the NCDXF beacon frequencies, such as 14100,
the bottom of the window will show you which station is transmitting on this
frequency during this ten-second interval, as well as the bearing and
distance to that station.

I used N1MM in my million-point CQWW entry (where I worked Terry GM3WUX on
both 15 and 20 meters) and for my first clean sweep in the phone Sweepstakes
contest.  I don't have any canned messages for phone yet, although I hope to
get my Signalink USB device working for this purpose sometime.

Maybe in another message I can describe where you go on the website to
download your copy of N1MM.  It was fun working him in the phone sweepstakes
and being able to tell him that I was using it with a screen reader.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls