From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:30:56 -0400
Steve,

You'll never get the 480 to sound as good as the TS2000 because you can't
open it up to 3KHz.  The widest filter in the 480 is 2.4KHz, and that limits
both the high and low end response.  I haven't been able to confirm this,
but I suspect that the mic preamp also restricts the audio.  You might be
able to get around this by bypassing the preamp and going directly into the
modulator via the 6-pin DIN connector on the front of the radio.  If you
really want to experiment with this, you might consider getting the RCA14
made by LDG and sold by W4RT.  This neat little box lets you access your DIN
connectors through 14 RCA jacks, which is a lot easier than trying to make
up cables with the DIN connectors.  The box is, in my opinion, well worth
the $50 price.  The pin-outs can be found in the TS480 manual.

Steve