From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 13:22:38 -0600
I didn't catch the original message here, what sort of equipment are you
plugging the head phones and or adapter into?
If it is a high output source such as a stereo receiver then there could be
some chance of damage, however, without saying martin is wrong because he's
not, the technical explanations were correct, a lower output source such as
an MP3 player, or discman, or sell phone or computer sound card is a little
different than a high out put source that expects a certain load.
soundcards especially are very forgiving, and often have circuits built in
to prevent under or over loading at the output or input jacks.
most sound cards, and sell phone outputs likely have a resister that will
become activated if the right channel is shorted to ground, so that anyone
can plug a mono plug into the jack and not worry about anything.
remember, these things are built to be more or less idiot proof, and i'm
sure lots of people plug in stereo to mono adapters.
I think most of those adapters mix the left and right channel to the left
channel without shorting right to ground...and when you plug the mono plug
into a stereo jack, the jack more than likely has that resister martin
refered to like the ham rigs to accept the mono jack without causing a
I too have used stereo to mono adapters on stereo outputs with no
perceivable negative results.
One thing to look at would be to use a single ear piece settup for mono
listening only.
this device has a stereo plug that goes into a stereo jack, and mixes
everything to the left channel and the single ear piece...the resisters and
so on are usually inside the ear piece...and if not, the left and right
channels, the tip and ring of the plug are connected together at the audio
driver in the ear piece to prevent shorting to ground.
nearly any head phone jack will accept a load from 8Ohms to a few hundred
ohms for different head sets, so the difference in load from having one
driver connected to both channels, as aposed to having separate drivers
connected won't matter very much to the output.  the only thing will be a
slight volume drop.
to be absolutely safe, I suppose building a breakout box with the proper
resisters and so on to maintain a specific load ont he amplifier would be
bennificial, but as I said, unless your using a very picky source, it's not
goig to make a huge difference.
Most modern IC bassed preamps and amplifiers won't even blink at a shorted
channel at maximum output...or, they'll just shut that channel off, or pull
back the output to that channel.
But again, this doesn't solve the issue of getting all the left and right
audio material into one channel either.
your dealing with output power up to maybe 1 watt with most applications
using headphone jacks, and most of the components inside are over valued
well above that, so even if you crank the volume, and short everything out,
nothing will smoke or become damaged.
If its a home stereo receiver, with a 3 or 5 watt output to the headphones,
then yes, it could cause some issues with full volume and shorting or
incorrect loading.
just my nickels worth on this.
martin's definitely technically right, I just think that most if not all
modern devices have short protection and variable loading circuits built in.

73
Colin, V A6BKX