From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:25:00 -0700
Tom,

Is your vertical ground mounted?  How high, and what direction, is your wire
pointing?  Is it broadside north and south or broadside east and west, in
other words.

From Colorado 10 meter conditions at this time of a sunspot building period
the upward swing of the cycle, it is a lot of north south propagation.  Most
of what I copied out of South America, for example, was extreme southern
Argentina although I think I heard weak Caribbean stations a couple of
times.  I was listening around 10 to 11 AM and about 3 PM in the afternoon.
When the band really opens, Europeans will be in all morning from 8 AM and
into the afternoons till about 3 PM.  African and South American will be
more mid day hours.  Japan and the Pacific stations will start, on 10
meters, about 2 PM in the afternoon and run until the band shuts down.  Some
cycles, it will be as late as 10 PM before 10 meters shuts down.  When the
band is stable, Japan will come in from mid afternoon until the band closes
and they will be like U S signals.  I've worked hundreds of Japanese 10 watt
sideband signals running 10 and 20 over S9.  10 meters is Japan's novice
band and they have to run 10 watts as a novice on 10 meters.  If they have
the highest license, they can run a KW.

40 meters is a great DX band.  I was tuning as early as sunset and hearing
Europe and South America.  The Europeans, even if you are running a 40 meter
beam, drop down after a couple of hours beyond sunset our time and then peak
up again around 9:30 to 10 PM our time.  Russians also will come in during
those two different time segments.  Africa likewise, since most of Africa
runs 9 and 10 hours ahead of us, will come in on 40 during those two time
periods.  Japan, with the big power stations, will come in as early as 9 PM
but normally not until after midnight.  Their real peak for big signals is
an hour before our sunrise.  I has worked Japan as early as 9 PM during
contests and as late as 2:30 PM beaming over South America, which is long
path at the time, but normally the J A signals don't start coming in until
after midnight along with KH6, Vk and ZL signals.  When I had my 2 element
40 meter beam, I worked Europe as early as 2:30 in our afternoon and during
mid sunspot peak years, long path on 40 to northern and central Europe comes
in with the Japanese just before sunrise.  This is beaming, just before
sunrise, to the southwest instead at Europe.  this same long path phenomenon
will be every mourning from sunup till about 10 AM on 20 meters with signals
from Europe so loud, you'll think you're on the wrong band.  One of these
days, we'll try 145.145 Colorado Repeater Association and you'll have no
trouble hitting it since it is on Squaw mountain.  We'll talk about band
propagation on the various bands to give you a better idea of when to be
looking for long hall stuff on whatever band you want to discuss.

Phil.